Sep 24, 2018
Photography: Courtesy of Instagram/@marcjacobs
For Marc Jacobs SS2019, Redken Global Creative Director Guido capitalized on dramatic cuts and vintage colors. He worked closely with Redken Global Color Creative Director Josh Wood to produce the looks which featured 37 girls, each with a different color. “We’ve done a few looks at Marc with cuts, colors and exaggerated styles. You’ll see exaggerated chignons, buzz cuts, a volumized head shape and ponytails all tying into overall ‘egg shape’ inspired looks that are exaggerated at the crown. It’s all loosely based on the 60s, with a nod to a lot of iconic women like Barbara Streisand and Bee Radziwell who were always ‘done’ at the salon,” says Guido. “I’ve blown all the girls out, then I am teasing the hair with Redken Wind Blown 05 and Redken Guts 10 and using pads and extensions in the chignons and the ponytails. I’m spritzing in Redken Fashion Work 12 Hairspray to provide light hold that I am able to rework. I want the softness in the hair, so my hairspray needs to hold the look while giving me the flexibility to move the hair around.”
Regarding the complex styles, Guido notes, “The graduated bob which we’ve cut on the girls creates an exaggerated silhouette. I think Marc really wanted to offset cool, natural, classic hair with a finished woman, which he was really looking to emphasize. These women had to be at the salon to get this done: this isn’t a look you do at home. You can take elements from it to try it at home, but I think to get the look itself you really need the help of a professional at your salon. We’re nodding to the idea of a ‘finish,’ the idea of a dreamlike quality or fantasy to the hair. This is an example of taking the idea of dressing hair up to the extreme. It’s not about the technicality of the hair – it’s about keeping this hair a fantasy. The end result is beautiful in individual ways. Everyone can wear this hair, it’s not just for certain hair types. Women aren’t so afraid to change up their hair anymore. I was surprised with the number of models that wanted a dramatic change. They each look beautiful in their own way.”
Redken Color Extend Magnetics Shampoo and Conditioner
Redken Guts 10
Redken Wind Blown 05
Redken Fashion Work 12 Hairspray
Get The Look:
1. Start with clean, air-dried hair prepped with Redken Color Extend Magnetics Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Begin applying Redken Guts 10 to the crown and head shape, backcombing as you go with Redken Wind Blown 05 for added volume around the head shape to create an ‘egg’ effect. Spray Redken Fashion Work 12 Hairspray as you go for flexible hold.
3. Section the hair into five sections with elastics.
4. Backcomb the back ponytail and twist the hair up in the back into a chignon and cover with a hairnet, while maintaining the large ‘egg’ shape on the head.
5. Backbrush each of the side panels and front panel with Redken Wind Blown 05 and pull them up to tie them at the top.
6. Spritz a small amount of Redken Fashion Work 12 Hairspray all over the look for soft hold.
Photography: Courtesy of Redken
Photography: Courtesy of Redken