With its casual and effortless vibe, the shag is a versatile cut that works on short, long, thin, thick, straight or curly hair. And this time around, it’s made modern with this “City Slay” interpretation by Alterna using their new high-performing My Hair. My Canvas. line to prep and style along the way. Check out the tutorial for this updated version of the shag.
My Hair. My Canvas. More To Love Bodifying Shampoo
My Hair. My Canvas. More To Love Bodifying Conditioner
My Hair. My Canvas. Anyway Texture Spray
My Hair. My Canvas. Soaring High Volumizing Blowout Mist
My Hair. My Canvas. City Slay Shielding Spray
My Hair. My Canvas. Another Day Dry Shampoo
ZONE 1: Nape to Lower Crown Ridge (LCR)
ZONE 2: Lower Crown Ridge (LCR) to Upper Crown Ridge (UCR)
ZONE 3: Ear Base (EB) Forward
ZONE 4a: Crown leaving out fringe and 1-inch around hairline in the front
ZONE 4b: Fringe area from high point of brow to high point of brow
Prep and Create Perimeter
- Cleanse and condition hair with My Hair. My Canvas. More To Love Bodifying Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Cut hair to desired length using point cutting to establish desired perimeter length.
- Blow out hair using round brush and My Hair. My Canvas. Anyway Texture Spray and My Hair. My Canvas. Soaring High Volumizing Blowout Mist to build volume on dry hair.
- Starting in center back, take a 1-inch vertical section, and hinge to 180 degrees so fingers are pointing down, letting gravity drop.
- Use Hinge-In-Motion to create soft layers.
- Continue taking vertical sections and repeat Hinge-In-Motion. At Left Nape Balance Point and Right Nape Balance Point sections, over direct to the previous section to avoid creating holes.
- Starting in the center, take 1-inch vertical sections, including Zone 1, and use same Hinge-In-Motion technique as Zone 1.
- On outer sections, over direct to previous section to preserve length.
- Take diagonal back sections starting at ear base and bring hair up at 180 degrees at the same angle as the diagonal parting. Let gravity drop and deep point cut to create texture.
- Continue taking diagonal back sections until you reach the front hairline and cut the same as the previous section with gravity as your guide.
- Leaving out Zone 4b, divide Zone 4a into three triangle sections.
- In the back triangle, pull hair out at 90 degrees and Twist Pinch & Pull, twisting hair one direction and cut through the ends.
- Twist the opposite direction and Twist Pinch & Pull for texture creating push and pull movement.
- With the front two triangles, over direct each section to opposite back sections, twisting away from the face.
- Use Twist Pinch & Pull cutting to the ends to preserve length. If thicker hair, Twist Pinch & Pull each section in opposite direction to remove weight.
- Split fringe in half.
- Over direct left section to the right Temple Balance Point and use X-Factor to cut hair as moving section down towards the tip of the nose.
- Repeat same X-Factor motion on the right section by over directing to the left Temple Balance Point.
- To create a mini baby fringe, use raking technique just around center area.
- Use Twist Pinch & Pull and raking to customize and blend where necessary.
- Finish style with beach waves for added texture, using My Hair. My Canvas. City Slay Shielding Spray and My Hair. My Canvas. Another Day Dry Shampoo to complete the look.
Plus check out the video below for styling a shorter length with this modern bob look: